How to Use Mets to Calculate Calories Burned
• METs are a great way to calculate calories burned as well as measure progress in one’s fitness goals!
• While resting, your body burns 3.5ml of oxygen per kg of bodyweight per minute. This is equivalent to one MET
In order to calculate calories burned per minute, use this formula:
• 1 MET x 3.5 x weight in kg ÷ 200 x 1 minute = Number of Calories burned per minute
• With this calculation you can calculate calories burned per day at rest, and therefore the minimum amount of calories you should consume each day!
• METs change with physical activity.
For example, sitting still is 1 MET but walking at 2mph is working at about 2.5 METs.
If you walk at this pace for 45 minutes, the calculation would be:
• 2.5 METs x 3.5 x Weight in kg ÷ 200 x 30 minute = Number of Calories burned in 30 minutes of walking at 2mph
• METs take some getting used to but once you get the hang of using them, they are a great way to measure caloric expenditure and can be a great tool in your health and fitness efforts!!
#METs #calories #exercise #physicalactivity